I was ecstatic when my family came to visit Chicago for the first time in order to see me receive my white coat. It was a great chance to show them my new city. The only issue was (seeing as white coat at ICO is week 2 of first year), I had no idea about anything in this new city. My dad, being from NYC and used to a fast pace and plethora of amazing restaurants, immediately wanted to know where we should go for dinner following the ceremony. Me, being a Chicago newbie, had no clue. This resulted in us getting lost, an almost car crash (dad drives like a New Yorker, too) and the inevitable towing of our rental (long story.)
So, to avoid any complications on your weekend, here is the list I wish I had of some great places to take your family for their first Chicago trip. In no particular order:
- Nandos- Superrr popular in London and happen to be popping up all over Chicago. Great chicken!
- Quartinos– Approved by my Italian grandmother.
- Safe House Chicago– I love this place so much that I’ve already written a whole post about it.
- Little Goat Diner- They have the biggest burger I’ve ever seen in my life. Great sandwiches!
- Joy Yee– China town, near the school. Don’t park at the Walgreen’s (see previous towing comment).
- Big and Little’s– As seen on Triple D. Cheap and lots of fried food if that’s what you’re craving.
Cemitas Puebla- Another Triple D spot (love that show). Fav. Mexican. Ever.
- Cupbop Ramen– I’ve recently been ramen obsessed. Great informal place for a quick meal.
- Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria – because let’s face it. People want Chicago deep dish.
- Portillos– famous for their Italian beef but they also have a chocolate cake milk shake. It’s magical.
Well, I hope this help when it comes to showing your family around the city. Don’t worry, in time you’ll be able to make your own list. For now, trust me- I <3 food.
P.S. If you have never seen Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives you’re missing out. Guy is the man.