Kelly Enns

I was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba and attended the University of Manitoba, graduating with a BS in microbiology with a strong minor in chemistry. During my undergraduate degree, I was given the opportunity to do a one-year research project in inorganic chemistry. I was also a teaching assistant for both first year chemistry and first year and second year microbiology.

When considering a future career, I wanted one that would be both challenging and rewarding. I considered many positions in the health care field as they offer a very good job outlook for the future and job stability is a huge factor for me. I considered positions in business as well that would offer a challenging work environment while allowing me to be my own boss. Optometry seemed to be a perfect fit for me; after a couple shadowing experiences, I knew this was the career for me.

The office where I shadowed hired me on as primarily a dispenser although I also did some pre-testing. This experience has really opened my eyes to the vast array of what is available on the market today for lens styles and materials and the visual affects for the wearer. I have also learned how to select the right frame for a patient based on their desired lens style, face shape, prescription and PD. I recall some specific experiences where the lenses I dispensed made such a huge difference in the patient’s life; this extremely rewarding feeling really solidified my choice in optometry.

Read Kelly Enns's Posts